This is indeed a tragedy.

The area they found Mrs. Chretien in is extremely remote and very inhospitable, brutal even. Going into this area requires extra food, extra water, clothing, shelter, a way to maintain a vehicle (gas), etc. and that is on a good day in the middle of summer. I have been in this area several times and can honestly say it is either 4-wheeler or 4x4 area at times. Horseback helps too. Though described as a logging road, the road is best traveled without difficulty from mid-May (sometimes early June) to when the first snow flies usually in in late September, or mid-October. The elevation is between 5,000' and 7,000' (1524m to 2132m)

Rowland is not really a town, it is a ghost town and a summer ranch area. The nearest town from where they were found according to the GPS is 16.2 miles away (Mountain City, NV along State Route 225) and following any kind of roads would take you over 2 hours to get there. The nearest clinic is in Owyhee, NV and no doubt would have to transfer her to more definitive in Boise, ID or Elko, NV. (She was flown to Twin Falls because it's closer in air miles) Overnight lows is probably going to be in the teens and may reach the forties in the daytime. Add rain, snow and wind and your chances of survival is very low. Obviously she survived, which is good, but not saying what he will be like. Let's not forget wolves (possible) coyotes, mountain lions, etc.

I agree if the road gets rough then turn around.
I doubt a signal fire would have done any good (literally no one to see it dense forest, terrain, etc.), but a fire for warmth would depend on dry material and an ability to gather it.
The rescuers drove for 9 miles to get a cell phone signal. In this area this is not uncommon usually it's more. A PLB, HAM Radio, or Satellite phone would have made the difference.
Know and understand your GPS and its limitations.
Sue is right to not take shortcuts. You'll become lost very easily.
Walking back to the highway (pavement)would take considerable time. NV State Route 225 is the only paved road in the area and walking means going through harsh terrain, streams, gully's, canyons and you get the picture (use mapper.acme.com - topo feature)(usual disclaimer) and you'll see what I am talking about.

This is a very pretty area to visit and inside of an hour you can literally go from Canyon-lands to high desert plateau and into forested mountains. The whole area has been designated wilderness and what isn't wilderness is National Forest and even the Elko County badlands. But traveling here means taking some responsibility.

Take care,

Stargazer