I can see that container/storage idea possibly working in rural areas, not any place near a metropolitan area. (Note the article was talking about Cannon Beach, Oregon.)

The system would not work where I currently live and have lived in the past (suburban and urban areas). When the supplies are actually needed, it would get looted or at least people would try. You'd need a healthy amount of security (including firearms) to protect it. If the rented location is secret, that might be doable. A rented location that's known for storing survival gear, no, I would not store survival gear there. It would likely cause more problems than it would solve.

Also, if the disaster is so bad that you're one of the few people with survival gear, then I can easily imagine a community (including the government) suddenly getting the idea that you should be required (forced) to distribute the items to those in need.

By the way, I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but in America we have storage facilities where you can rent space for whatever you want to put in there. The regular storage facility would still get looted if there is known to be survival gear there. Again, I'm talking about a time of desperation where people are acting substantially less civilized. Your mileage may vary.