There is plenty of good evidence for cometary strikes in the past. However, Uriel's Machine is not a credible source and personally I think the claims presented in the book are so much baloney. If the data presented therein is the source of your concern, you can rest easy.

It is an interesting subject. I have been involved, very peripherally, in some of the field work behind a recent proposal of another meteor strike at 12,900 years ago. There is actual physical evidence to support this claim (unique impact compounds in well dated layers in several localities). Let's just say that even this event is rather controversial - it is definitely not currentlyaccepted by a majority of scientists working in the field.

Even earlier, we have Meteor Crater in Arizona (some 50,000 years old) and the Cretaceous extinction event, the undoing of the dinosaurs, 69 million years ago. This by no means exhausts the list of accepted or controversial events in the past.

If yet another extraterrestrial object comes calling? If there is any kind of warning, I would move or at least climb to higher ground (my residence is a mere 200 feet above MSL) so I would be in trouble in the event of a mile high tsunami. I am afraid my folding kayak would not be of much use to me.

If no warning, or I cannot move, well I have had a long and generally productive life, and nothing lasts forever.

I understand we get close fly bys rather frequently, and I believe there is some interest in tracking near earth objects and considering measures to avoid impacts. Someone more knowledgeable can fill in the gaps.

Just one other thing -if we have to run for our lives, be sure and take fire starting materials. Might be a good idea to pack along some shelter basics as well. You just never know..

Edited by hikermor (05/03/11 09:11 PM)