Sorry for not having been around over the past few weeks. I hate not getting my equipped fix lol. That being said something's been chewing at me for a while and building up into a sort of crescendo. I realized that at bare minimum, it begs the question and I figured I'd put it to you guys to see what you think.

The scenario: Cometary impact.

Yep, that's right. Comet strike on the world. I know, I know. You're thinking "He said plausible" ... well, it is smile

I've been reading a few books recently, more specifically one called uriel's machine. And while they make some debatable claims they do however make one hell of a case of MULTIPLE comet strikes on planet earth over the past 10-20,000 years. The after effects are pretty well documented both in geology and oral history which is bizarre and sobering. I highly recommend reading the book smile

Anyways, that being said we have good old comet Elenin on it's way for a near by pass (by that I mean a razor's width) to earth. .24 au on the light side though I've heard some estimates of it being as close as .0004au. For those who are unaware - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_unit

It's due in early october, btw.

Moreover the angle of intersection with the earth's orbit is what REALLY gives me the heebie jeebies. When I think "intersecting the earth's orbit" I think of two great big lines in space perfectly perpendicular to each other. Unfortunately that's not the case. Per nasa's JPL it's coming in a shallow angle.. which any layperson can see gives it a better shot at us.

So let's just say it's NOT going to happen as I'm not here to really debate that per se. I have my beliefs, you have yours and you're welcome to do your own research. But the question, point, and purpose of this thread is:

Scenario: Comet strike
Timeline: 6 months to prepare
Resources: Absolutely anything and everything you have, including your kitchen sink. I mean after all, it's survival

First off from what I know from the discovery channel you have about a 50/50 shot right off the bat based on hemisphere/land/ocean/water. So for the sake of argument let's say it's going to hit ocean. You will not be incinerated in nuclear fire. You might, however, get rolled by a 2-3 mile high tidal wave. Or die from nuclear winter effects. Etc.

Chew on it and reply smile
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx