Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Paul810
A lot of people consider a knife to be the #1 most important survival tool, but I actually think a fire-starting method is my #1 most important item

A knife may or may not be the #1 most important survival tool based on your location and circumstances, but I think it is certainly the #1 most versatile survival tool.

I say to this that the Number system within the survival community is bunk. To Consider one thing the most important or to line things up in order of importance is giving reason to not carry things lower on the list and or Further romanticizing the survive with 1-3 things lifestyle I believe most of us here frown upon (could be wrong sorry). If you are preparing why not prepare to the fullest extent of your abilities? Learn how to Survive without and prepare to survive with. With all that yes I believe in carrying a Firesteel but no I do not think about EDCing one during everyday life. In the woods a Firesteel will be on me nomatter what other methods of firestarting I have or Know how to improvise. As for every Day life I EDC A lighter.