Originally Posted By: Dagny

Here's the $20 weather radio that I've been using for the past couple years (up $2 in the past week, to $22):

http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-HH50-Pocke...2036&sr=8-6

I have one of those I keep in my vehicle (which is usually nearby).

Day to day, if things are looking ominous on any given day, I'll put the HH50 in my pocket, especially if I'm planning to be away from my vehicle.

I've also gotten use to using my Android phone with the freely available weather apps to keep apprised of what is going on, weather-wise. Nice to have the radar maps to get a overview.

Cell service is not the most reliable in a storm but if weather is getting bad enough to take out the cell service/towers, hopefully I'm smart enough to be aware danger is near and either be hunkering down or getting out of Dodge, whichever is most appropriate for the circumstance. Though tornados do crop up quickly, at least they don't come out of nowhere.

Back to the radio, I like it. It runs on 3-AAAs, which have lasted me two seasons, so far, with sporadic use (I check it at least monthly).

Standard disclaimers.

buckeye

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.