Dagny,

Good points on the radios but lots of the available units don't require much from the user once they are programmed with the correct SAME codes and preferences.

My personal favorite is one I picked up quite awhile ago from radio shack but they have nothing equivalent now. Set the SAME codes, select alarm modes for each type of NOAA alert (watch, warn, special) and weather conditions (Tornado, Flood, Amber alert etc.) then ignore it until the alarm goes off. smile My other units are a portable radio shack and a portable Oregon Scientific which I suspect were designed and build by the same company.

Here in Iowa you can buy decent low cost radios in several of the major grocery and department stores and they will install the batteries and program the radio for you. Our local TV stations have been sort of pushing the following, I don't own any of these but have used them at work and at a volunteer organization and have had good luck with them.

Desktop units
Midland WR100 (about $29) Amazon Link
Midland WR300 (about $49) Amazon Link

Portable units
Midland HH550 (about $17) Amazon Link
Midland HH54VP (about $34) Amazon Link

Prices may vary outside of this area since I think our TV stations and local stores have worked a deal with Midland. It is worth noting that a couple of these can work with external antennas for improved reception and I think they also support an optional strobe light attachment if aural alerts don't work for you.

- Eric

No affiliation with any of the above - just an advocate for improving situational awareness.