Rocks. I like that!

I'm with Chaos, Phillip and Hikermor. There are lots of ways to get into what you need to. Screwdrivers, can openers, pry bars, hammets, knives, etc. Driving the car without a key would pose a problem, for example, but getting in shouldn't. I'd pop a window if I needed to and either fix-up (duct tape?) it to shelter-in-place or bail on it and hoof it.

In terms of food, good preparation is part of the equation. I don't want to reseal anything, and that's part of my preps. Smaller cans and packaging plays a big role, as does stocking things that I know we like and will eat. (I'm not planning to introduce eggplant in an emergency, for example.) For larger stuff, like the 18 pound bags of rice I bought this weekend, we'll prepare only what we've rationed to eat, and the unused goes into tupperware or ziplock bags. Proper storage, of course, is key.

The consumption plan is to eat from the fridge first, then the freezer, and then the non-perishables. Meat that's thawed, and won't be cooked and eaten right away, can be smoked if we can't keep it consistently cool enough.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/25/11 02:18 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA