I use a combo approach. My hiking pack is always packed and ready to go in the trunk of my car. It's got water, a change of clothes and enough food for three days, but is more gear centric. (Stove, water filtration, saw, tent, lights, tarp, rope, FAK, etc.) This bag is designed for me and my son, with a little thought (i.e. extra ponchos) too for my hubby and SD. I use the pack for Scout hikes so it's set-up to take care of a group.

This is suplimented by my trunk supplies (tent, thermarest, sleeping bags, wool blankets, extra jackets, hats, mitts, socks, toiletries, etc) It's designed for my son and I should we get stuck for a few days.

Then we have a family BOB in the basement, that's designed for four us. It can stand independantly and with it we should be good on our own for at least a couple of weeks. (Began with 72 hrs and grew it from there.) This kit includes older gear (i.e tent, sleeping bags, lanterns, stov, etc.) that's in great shape and that we are all familiar with. It's currently comprised of our individual packs (Everyone carries their own clothes, water bottle, toiletries, flashlights, etc.) and communal supplies (including docs) in a big hockey bag. Combined with what's in my trunk, we should be good for a few weeks.

The family camping gear is seperate but packed and organized for bug-in, and can quickly and easily be grabbed for bug-out if we have time and space. {we're down to 1 vehicle at the moment - my honda Civic. frown }

So I guess my question to your A or B question is Yes.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/17/11 12:04 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA