I prefer an "in use' BOB, or whatever you want to call it. Basically, it means you just keep your gear organized. Right now, I have three bags which I can pick up and go with - one is for professional fieldwork (incorporating such BOB-unlike items as tape measures, trowels, notebooks, and flagging pins), a day hiking pack which definitely does include some very lightweight shelter and cooking items, and a cycling pack, which has much the same stuff, but includes a few more cycle specific tools.

Sometimes I will shift gear from one to the other, depending upon the particular trip. When the trip is over, things go back to their home base. Some items migrate regularly from pack to pack, like my camera and GPS. Each bag, however, has First aid stuff, fire starting gear, something to cook in, minimal shelter, and a least one piece of extra, warmer clothing that forms the nucleus.

Each kit includes some consumables that are always there - for me, its usually Clif bars, Tonka bars, and tea bags w/sugar. Food for the specific trip is extra. From time to time I realize my reserved emergency stash is getting a bit elderly (like me!) and I consume them and replace with newer items. Did this just yesterday, as a matter of fact, on a bike trip that lasted a little longer than projected (fifty miles, 2700' elevation gain).

I am definitely a fan of using your gear. In a tight situation, it is critical to know that your gear has worked in the past and will work again in the present situation. It's just one less thing to be anxious about, and your anxiety level will be high enough....

Example - on the trip yesterday, I took along a water bottle I had not used before. It didn't work very well, and I won't be relying upon it in the future. I would not want to make that discovery in a tight situation.