Good question. After studying many a Bug out Bag or Get Home Bag on Youtube, you quickly come to the conclusion that perhaps the Main Battle rifle and Claymores etc should be left from the bag and a tent,a sleeping bag and sleeping mat should be added. I've seen Bug out Bags equipment lists weighing 80+ lb or more (30lb of weapons and ammo) yet didn't have a decent sleeping bag and shelter protection i.e. a disposable poncho is thrown in as an afterthought. Even if they do include a tent, these folks would probably use their FN FAL as a tent pole. wink They would struggle also to walk more than 5 miles a day carrying this load out not including the beer belly of course.

There's no reason for a Bug out Bag to be based on the equipment list of a mountain marathon runner such as shown here as the 3 or even 5 day (just add more fuel and food) requirements are essentially the same.

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_2009_Mountain_Marathon_Kit_List_1037.html

As Chris Ryan has been quoted keep the 'kit stupid simple' i.e. Stupid simply means your kit and your equipment don't have fancy bits that will drop off in the dark and stop them working. It means that everything is tried and tested. Using you Bug out Bag kit for camping is the best way of keeping the kit stupid simple. You will quickly find out want works and what doesn't. Many a Youtube BOB owner will be in for rude surprise if the balloon goes up.

All you need is a spare grab bag with additional fuel and food to supplement you BOB just in case you have consumed the food and fuel from a previous outing into the wilderness.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/16/11 09:32 PM)