Art, I gotta say I disagree entirely. Money spent on a low grade tent is money wasted. I would rather spend it on a rental. I do agree with you that money on a super high grade tent might not be the best way, but there are plenty of very good medium quality tents that will not rip to shreds.

One tip of for a low quality, cheap tent. They have flys that don't protect the entire tent - an obvious set up for failure and a potentially serious situation.

Some years ago we had a climbing fatality on Mt Humphreys (Arizona) during a winter storm when the tent failed. I never found out precisely what tent failed, but the incident demonstrates the importance of a tent in nasty weather.

Perhaps it is worth considering alternatives to tents. Buy a reasonably lightweight tarp, say 10x12, get a bunch of cordage, and learn some of the many ways to pitch it right. Sure you will make mistakes, but there is a real incentive to learn.

The second option is to take advantage of rock shelters (more easily done in the American Southwest than most other places). I have spent many nights watching the water pour off the overhang while nice and protected. A good shelter is better than any tent.