Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
over the last few months, after reading this and other forums, I've changed my thinking about the "packaging" of my car supplies.....replaced the canned tuna and ramen with foil tuna pouch and instant mashed potatoes...repackaged some GatorAid mix for EGR...

Les,

I'm working on the same project. I live in a much colder climate, but it does get really hot here in summer. Last year we had several stretches over 100 degrees. I don't carry water in the winter because it freezes solid, but I do have an esbit stove, a half dozen fuel cubes, and a container to melt snow. I carry ramen, pouch tuna, clif bars, bigelow teabags, and tube peanuts in winter because the cold doesnt hurt that type of food.

I'm curious about the effects of summer heat on food, medicine, and water you have stored in your trunk in summer. What adjustments have you had to make to your provisions because of heat?

Byrd

Byrd, have you tested the esbit? My wife and I made some tea after a hike in Michigan a couple winters ago. A single esbit cube got water "lukewarm" which we'd thrown into the car from the house that morning. The bottle was only in the car maybe 3 hours tops. I'd seriously consider, if you plan on melting snow, you'll need a lot more cubes, or use them to start a wood fire. Oh, and likely you'll scorch the container, so hope it's something that'll be OK afterwards.

I haven't noticed any problems with summer. I've kept the same stash in through Missouri, Michigan and now Virginia. Things have seemed edible, but they're all about 5 years old. Guess replacing it should be on my 'to do' list.