Originally Posted By: Pete
jenks ... your plan is admirable, but i see one possible downside. If you pass out a dozen "survival gift baskets", you might very well get extra visits from other nosy neighbors demanding that you given them something too. You can't rule that out - if people get desperate. It's quite likely that word would spread that you are "giving stuff away" - and then you could get problems.

cheers,
Pete #2

Exactly. In this America, there's a whole lot of "what about me" and "it's not my problem" mentality. In other words, "I deserve something without needing to work for it."

My personal plans DON'T plan for supplying half the planet. I'm more than willing to share knowledge, or somewhat sustainable resources. Heck, even if I have extras of stuff, they can have it, but I'm not going to intentionally "plan" for extras to get rid of. It's too difficult to decide in advance what will be desperately needed.

Sure, if I have a spare flashlight, they can borrow it. But when those CR123's run out, hey, sorry, you should have your own flashlight buddy.

Want some water? Go grab your water hose and I'll show you how to drain your water heater. Get a bucket too. It's too yucky? OK, well just go thirsty.

Hungry? Let's go after one of those deer in the woods by the freeway. What, it's illegal? OK, well don't come to my BBQ tomorrow night, cuz you might get arrested for eating illegal venison. Or rabbit, or whatever else I can hit (still need to get them better sighted-in, unfortunately no decent ranges by my house!)