Very commendable, Jenks!

I'm not quite as altuistic but do think it's a great idea to help others out as much as possible. As others have suggested, getting to know your neighbours and developing a sense of community is a great first step.

We have about 100 houses in our area, and 10 on our street. We have two, single elderly neighbours that we keep an eye on and try to consider in our preps.

One of the most important things we've done is to make sure they know us. As they get older, dementia becomes more of a possibility. We can't help them if they won't let us, and that's more likely if they don't know us and become afraid of us during an emergency.

Home repairs would be beyond them, so keeping extra tarps, plywood, nails, etc. on-hand makes sense. If public transportation goes down, they won't be able to resupply so storing extra water, food, batteries, etc. makes sense too.

(EDIT: Eldery people tend to have trouble eating properly when they get frail, even when there's food on-hand, so I take a note from hospitals and Meals on Wheels. In the event that I can't get ready to eat meals to them, I keep a few packs of meal replacement drinks, like Boost/Ensure, stored for them. One of them is diabetic so that's the kind I get.)

We've also got walkie talkies for both of thrm, in the event that they need help between regular check-ins. Phones could well be down and I hate to think of what could happen because they had no way to call for help.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/11/11 10:54 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA