Jenks, first off, I commend you for such generous thinking. We need more people like that in this world.

I think you'll get some good suggestions from others, so let me approach your question from a different angle. I think that potentially the most beneficial thing you could do is help foster better relations among your neighbors. Strangers tend not to be so generous or trusting of one another or cooperative, although a crisis may temporarily short-circuit that instinct.

I think the Japan quake is an excellent example of what can happen even when most of the physical stuff, even critical supplies, are just not available. Granted, there are some definite and unique cultural differences between Japan and us, but still, when people are civil and community-minded, we have seen these communities pull through, even with little to no outside support for quite some time because people spontaneously pulled toghether and also shared what they had instead of hunkering down as individuals. I guess Cairo could be another example of neighbors taking care of neighbors, although in a scarier context of residents discouraging anarchy or thugs from causing trouble.

To share what you have is a wonderful instinct, however, without that social bond in place, in many cases, the gift goes out and maybe never comes back or never gets "paid forward". With a foundation of good relations among neighbors, I think your efforts will be much more appreciated and yield some surprising and surprisingly beneficial results if disaster ever does strike your neck of the woods even if your neighbors weren't really prepared. Good luck with this!