Yes, it was a sad day when I tossed my EVACU8 (after I tried it out first--quite uncomfortable to wear for the full 20 minutes, actually. I don't know if I'll ever buy another product that uses that SCUBA-regulator-like mouthpiece unless I had no other choice).

The most reasonably priced replacement for a smoke hood that can deal with carbon monoxide that I have found since then is probably the Safescape. It's been years since the EVACU8 recall but the Safescape still seems to be the best choice. Everthing else comparable is generally hundreds of dollars more. I'd love to hear about any new options in the sub-$100 range if anyone knows.

A less expensive alternative that I've also mentioned before is the Xcaper Smoke Mask. It's not a full hood but it does handle carbon monoxide, too, which I think is absolutely critical for any product that is supposed to help you escape a fire. And as far as I can tell, it's made here in Southern California.

Some may be interested in something that protects against chemical/bio contamination, but I've never been particularly interested in those so I don't have any recommendations. Although better than nothing, I wouldn't depend on either of these products for that purpose since they weren't designed for those kinds of environments.

And for dust, keeping a dust mask handy would be far cheaper than using one of these products. An N95 with an exhalation valve (actually, keep several) in your earthquake kit would be a good choice for after-earthquake poking around dusty, concrete rubble.