Are they worth the money?

From my experience, I'd say yes.

While a 'fresh' chem stick is brighter, you'll see that the brightness fades away. The Krill light is always the same intensity; after a few hours, it will still be as visible as when first activated.

The 180 model is the brightest; after all, the batteries are 'charging' the lightstick over only 180 degrees. This type is best used as a personal indicator. Slap the included velcro on the 'dark' side of the light, put its mate on your jacket or cap, and you're visible at night. If you're getting into the 'darker colors'...check the website for list of brightness...they're really only good, IMHO, for marking individuals who may have to be identified at distance by sight only. (the red one I have is a 180; it's darker than the 360 green. I use the red when tasked as the search leader or OIC of a crime scene. This way if officers are coming in to sign up for the detail, they don't have to crowd the airwaves or yell out...they just look for the red line bouncing in the dark. Use green for your officers, yellow for your sergeants, and red for whoever the HMFIC is.)

Is it bright enough for your needs? Well, if you're happy with a chemlight after a couple of hours, you'll be happy with the Krill. And even happier when you don't have to buy a new one every night. That said, it never hurts to have a chem light or two in your OSK (the Oh $h!t Kit...what you grab when you're headed out in a hurry and can only mutter, "Oh $h!t....)

The other down side to the Krill, other than the no swing problem I mentioned, is that if you lose it, you won't be all that happy with yourself.

And the swingy light...another idea is to pop a Photon 3 on a dog tag chain, set for fast or medium strobe, and start swinging...you'll get attention from a long way away. (If nothing else, people will be curious as to what the heck is going on...)