LED assemblies are available for replacement but usually the replacement is designed to do different things.

A cheap P6 drop in Ultrafire WF-502B which can take various drop in modules such as incandescent, Luxeon LEDs (cheap single mode emitters), Cree LED emitter of all various colours such a White, cool White, warm White, RED, BLUE, Infra Red and UV etc. There are also more powerful LED x4 emitters known as MCE and P7s. These are basically 4 LEDs packaged into the same LED housing.

The actual drop in modules consists the Aluminium reflector (which can be removed) the bottom contact spring (which can be removed) to leave the LED and electronic driver circuit housing.

The electronic driver circuit will allow the LED to be driven at various amperages and timings to produce a very flexible flashlight.

For flashlights such as the much larger Maglite C and D models direct LED bulb replacements can be purchased to replace the incandescent bulbs. A backup LED bulb can be held in the base of the Maglite C and D models but not the AA and AAA models. I have a 1 Watt LED in the front of a 4D Maglite and a 3W as a replacement if I need more light.

LEDs are very robust by comparison to incandescent bulbs, the failure for most of the cheaper flashlights such as the one shown above will be due the standards of construction i.e. poor soldering on the bottom clicky switch and within the driver circuit. I will always strip down these cheaper flashlights clean them up and inspect them then reassemble them. I haven't had many problems so far.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/06/11 02:06 PM)