Originally Posted By: Lono

Also I think Doug's treatment of firearms in kits is logical and reasonable and pretty much settles the issue for me.

Not to derail the thread, but...Speaking of which, it always struck me as somewhat odd that, in Doug's write-up of firearms, he doesn't mention that he carries a Glock model 22 concealed from time to time (or at least used to). With that in mind, I figured there would at least be a little blurb on the merits of lawful concealed carry by responsible individuals.

He mentions defense against larger animals, but sometimes it's the smaller animals of both the four-legged and two-legged variety that can be even more threatening to our survival. Not to mention, they're the ones more likely to be encountered.

(Speaking of which, my one experience where an animal encounter truly made me fear for my life was when I was accosted by a pack of feral dogs while I was just minding my own business loading up snowmobiles on the side of a road. It never ceases to amaze me how a situation can go from fun and enjoyment to sheer terror in a split second.)