I was able to pick up a new Soto for $48.00 total. Still more than I wanted to pay, but I'm curious about the stove. I need to run a series of comparative tests on it.

I suspect that at 5C above the vaporization point of a given fuel, both a conventional needle valved stove and a regulated stove (i.e. the Soto) will run equally well.

It's the range between about 1C to 2C above the vaporization point of the fuel up to 5C above vaporization where I think the regulated burner will have an advantage.

Now is the ability to operate in temperatures that are only 2 or 3 degrees C lower than what a conventional stove can operate a meaningful advantage, and does that ability justify the Soto's high price? Well, that's mostly a judgment call, but for me, I don't think 2 to 3 degrees C difference justifies paying $30.00 more than something like a Pocket Rocket.

To me fuel selection (propane and isobutane only, no n-butane) and putting the canister in a pan of (liquid) water are better, cheaper options. As long as a canister of propane-isobutane is kept in liquid water, a needle valved stove will continue to operate. Isobutane boils (vaporizes) at -12C/11F. Liquid water has to be above 0C/32F. At 12C/21F above the vaporization temperature, you should have plenty of gas pressure.

But, that's just what I think based on the chemistry and technology involved. I won't know for sure without some testing.

HJ