Originally Posted By: Denis
As a side note, comparing the MSR IsoPro to the Snow Peak Gigapower Gold fuel mixture, would you expect a noticeable difference in performance? The MSR is 20/80 propane/iso-butane while the Gold is 15/85.
Honestly, I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference, although it will make some difference at the beginning of the canister. Toward the end of the canister, either brand will be effectively 100% isobutane, and there will be no material difference between the two.

From your articles and others I've read (like this one)
This article has a number of errors, including the idea that you can expect to run a propane-isobutane blend down to 15F/-9C. I'd say that about 20F/-7C is more realistic towards the end of the canister.

Also, the idea that you need to go to a liquid fueled stove if the temps get down into the single digits (Fahrenheit) is a bit off. Liquid fuel is a good choice, but remote canister gas stoves with a pre-heat loop will operate down to 0F/-18C pretty effectively with an 80/20 isobutane-propane mix if you invert the canister.

There are a number of other errors, although he's got a lot of things basically right. Just don't read some of his explanations which are not accurate.

I am guessing based on the weather records I found that the lowest temperature I cooked in would have been around -7 C or so, maybe a bit warmer. But I definitely had the advantage of a full canister.
-7C is no problem for a canister that contains no n-butane. You should be "good to go" at -7C even at the end of the canister.

It is nice to know that even if I find myself in lower temperatures that I'm not totally out of luck. That said, it seems like it would be a good idea to get myself the Simmerlite (or something like it) so I could confidently go colder than that weekend though.
I own a Simmerlite, and I like it; it's a good stove. Consider also the Windpro which is basically a Simmerlite with a gas connector. The Windpro has a pre-heat loop (generator), so it can be operated with the canister upside down (inverted). In inverted canister mode, the stove can be operated down to 0F/-18C. I've written an article on the subject of inverted canister gas stoves for Seattle Backpackers Magazine that will be published on Friday.

HJ