A few days ago I was fiddling around with the computer and a I notice that a fingernail was rough and had a hangnail, I reflexively grabbed a nail clipper and had the nail and hangnail sorted out in a few seconds. No scissors or knife will do the job as well. No great revelation but it reminded me that these little fingernail clippers, that go for about $2, are mighty handy. I don't carry one, I try to keep my key-chain compact, but have them scattered around everywhere. I have two on my desk, one in my truck change tray, one in each of my survival kits. I even have a couple still in their packaging in my cabinet. A remnant of a year ago when I lost my last two and in a fit bought a half-dozen in one go. I subsequently found at least one I lost.

Nothing better for flush-cutting hangnails that always fester, sting, and threaten to get infected in survival situations. Great for trimming rough spots on fingernails that threaten to rip into the quick. Works well cutting thread, fishing line and light line. When I was messing around with electronics I often used a pair to flush-cut wires after making repairs. I've used a pair as tweezers to pull out thorns and splinters.

The ones I like best are good quality, heavily chromed to resist rust, and made by "Trim". They sell at most department stores.