30 years and the only time I couldn't get a Bic lighter to work was above 12,500 ft in cool (maybe 40*F) breezy whether. FWIW, even a regular paper match wouldn't light under those conditions, it would just sputter and die-out. The only other things that's stopped them is running out of fuel or getting wet.

I've found mini-Bic lighters in boxes of old camping gear that hadn't been used for over 5 years that still worked fine every try. I've carried them in my pockets and in my gear, and have left them in my car in the sun with 120*F temperatures and never had one leak, melt or explode. I've used them out in single-digit temperatures (just keep them warm in your pocket). Sometimes the striker wheel will get stuck, but a few smacks followed by persuasion with a gloved-thumb will get it working in quick order.

In my FAK's and other kits I usually put them in a small pill-size zip-lock bag to keep them dry. Other than that, no special care required.