Arney said: "The other worrying thing was the discovery of vegetables grown in Tokyo being found with cesium-137 above the legal limits. If the vegetables grown in your own city are becoming contaminated with unhealthy levels of radiation, I'm sure it's making the people wonder about the safety of their own bodies more and more."

No kidding. And not to mention the fact that someone out there is still harvesting these vege's in the fields, putting them in boxes or bags, and trasnporting them to the market. What kind of exposure are they getting?

As far as the iodine in the sea is concerned, let's think about how dependent the Japanese people are on seafood. I haven't seen any stories that talk about people refusing to buy fish or shellfish in Japanese stores, but you have to imagine this is going on.

Am_Fear_Liath_More said: "It would seem there is an intentional 7-10 day delay before the Japanese authorities will fess up and admit the obvious. Considering that this nuclear disaster has been ongoing for around 2 weeks now the information provided by the Japanese authorities is quite scandalous."

I agree - it is scandalous. The only thing that exceeded this level of outrage was the total coverup by the Soviet Union when they had Chernobyl. But I don't think any of us would have expected an open democracy like Japan to behave this way. I wouldn't be surprised if this causes the downfall of high-level politicians and company executives.

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/25/11 04:33 PM)