Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
HJ,

He turned 30 this year! smile I am not worried about the various fuel options. I consider the 30 to 50 dollar difference insignificant if I get the better product (plus I am a SERIOUS shopper who will wait till I get a deal). I won't spend more to get the same thing, but over the life of a stove like this it is not much.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I may start looking for a Primus.

Respectfully,

Jerry

OK, then don't worry about that.

I waited and waited and finally the right deal came along. I got an Omnifuel, barely used, from another hiker for $86.70.

Of the three top multifuel "expedition" stoves (the Primus Omnifuel, the Optimus Nova, and the MSR XGK), I think the Omnifuel holds the overall edge in areas with good quality fuel supplies. As noted in my blog, were I to go to a remote location with spotty supplies (might have to burn some non-standard fuels in other words) or poor quality supplies, then I'd go with an XGK. In a disaster situation, I'd take the XGK hands down.

Optimus was recently bought out by Katadyn, and from the appearance of things, the transition was anything but smooth. Optimus has had to do a recall of the Nova. I cannot recommend the Nova at this time. Older pre-Optimus Novas, made in Sweden, with the CEJN coupling are a fine stove. The next SOTW will be on the Nova if I recall correctly.

HJ

Edited by Hikin_Jim (03/21/11 06:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Added statement about a disaster situation.