Originally Posted By: Susan
The milky white bottles (like milk comes in) simply do not last very long. I don't know why. But water stored in these containers tends to eventually leak out, even if you buy the water in them, store them upright, and they've never been opened. You go out to your storage area, and you'll find empty or partially-empty collapsed containers.

Milk jugs are made to deliberately degrade over time. A green thing I guess.

2 liter pop bottles do not degrade all that much.

Personally, all my water storage is in 5 gallon jugs that coincidentally fit my water cooler. I have 6 5 gallon jugs. They get rotated regularly. Most of the time I have at least 20 gallons of water in the cooler or the jugs sititng next to the cooler.

A side benefit is our Saturday morning excursions to the water store to refill them. The beagle has a good time because she gets a donut hole or two from the water store and a nice ride.

Water generally does not have long term storage issues unless stored in direct sunlight which can result in algae growth, especially for well water. That's why you put chlorine in it. In fact, that is the main reason chlorine is put into public water systems. It is not about germs, it is about controlling algae.

Bob