Actually ... there's one other thing that we take for granted. We're all assuming that people will actually EAT the food that they are given.

The truth is that we have been spoiled in the West, and we are used to having food "our way". If it doesn't taste like what we like - we reject it. This is not a trivial issue. If i take team members to third world countries, I usually give them my standard lecture about "food discipline" and "water discipline". Basically, this boils down to the fundamental idea that you are GOING TO EAT what you are given, even if the taste is not what you are used to. Most people in third world countries don't have the privilege of having access to enjoyable food - they just eat what's available. I don't ever make team members eat anything that is unsanitary. But still, you'd be amazed at how quickly people turn up their noses at foods that are unfamiliar to them.

As a result of this ... I've learned to watch the teams. And you can usually notice that some people are not eating properly. These people are also the first ones who get sick, and generally fall apart with their physical condition. I am always amazed that people will allow this to happen to their health, as opposed to being more disciplined about eating food that "they don't like".

As a work-around to this issue, I generally keep a few backup supplies for people who are picky eaters. Simple stuff like a few granola bars, some crackers, and a jar of peanut butter. These items help some people to avoid a food catastrophe ... a shutdown in their caloric intake.

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (03/20/11 04:16 PM)