Originally Posted By: Montanero
Lean muscle mass burns more calories, that is why trainers try to build up their customers who are trying to lose weight and stay in shape. If you look at endurance athletes, and other people who participate in endurance activities, they are lean and not overly muscular. Fitness will aid tremendously in a survival situation, and putting on a few extra pounds prior to an anticipated drop in caloric intake is not a bad idea, if you are physically fit already. Fitness is good, but body builders will not last long without food.

This came up in the early 70s in discussions of US troops in SE Asia. The Geneva Convention says that prisoners of war will be given food comparable to what they give their own troops. Even when the rules were followed US troops, used to three squares and a snack, were looking at something like eight ounces of rice and four ounces of vegetables daily. Supplemented with four ounces of chicken or fish every second or third day if it was available. The locals could thrive on this. US troops found it to be difficult to do and many died adjusting even when given what the NVA considered to be a lavish diet. Of course regular beatings, torture, and other deprivations didn't help and many spent most of their days eating less than the mandated standard. Most, even when they were fortunate enough to get what the rules said, suffered greatly, lost a lot of weight, and those that survived long term as POWs showed large losses of muscle mass.

A 6'4" 250 pound American carrying 60 pounds of muscle can't maintain his normal proportions on the same diet as a 5'4" Vietnamese pushing 140 pounds with 25 pounds of muscle.

I laugh every time I think of fat astronauts. I picture that iconic scene out of "The Right Stuff" with the astronauts walking to the launch pad as people clap and cheer ... but with very round 400 pound astronauts, resplendent in their very wide silver space suits ... and the fat ripples and dances with every momentous step. LOL.