Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

There is a part of me that wonders why people carry small wood stoves. Why not just make a circle of rocks and light a fire?

I think the answer lies along the following lines: one is that a stove provides a platform on which to cook, two the fire (if the stove is designed well) burns better and more efficiently, and three there's a smaller "footprint," the fire is more contained in other words.

Continuing the hijack: Campfire pits scattered all over the place in suburban areas or heavily visited areas is not a good thing. (In remote areas, a nice campfire pit in the right spot is a nice thing, IMHO). It is all about the impact and footprint - the more people, the less the foot print should, IMHO.

Then there is the issue of forest fire risk.

Done the right way, there is little doubt you can minimize the environmental impact and the risk of forest fire from a small fire. But then again, there are other options.

I've read the praise for those small wood stoves, and I think I can understand the fascination. When you factor in that you don't have to carry any fuel the weight and volume is pretty decent.

I personally hate disposable grills. Instead, I've purchased some steel plates that are hinged together with steel wire. Fairly heavy, about 4 pounds, but it packs totally flat. It serves dual purpose as a platform for making small fires. I'll bring that when we're going by car or on those Sunday family trips where we're not going far anyway.