The reviews haven't been kind to most of the Vargo alcohol stoves. I have no idea how a Vargo wood stove would compare. Wood fires are pretty restricted here in S. California because of fire danger.

If wood fires were more of an option, I would be sorely tempted to purchase a Backcountry Boiler which is essentially a Kelly Kettle type device that has been made compact and light enough to be practical for a hiker, hunter, or backpacker.

Wetfire, hasn't fared well in reviews as a stove fuel. Hexamine, such as Esbit, seems to be a much better fuel than the wetfire tinder. Esbit isn't my favorite fuel, but it can be made to work. The typical folding Esbit stove sold in most outdoors isn't very good in my opinion. The Ti-Wing is better, but you really need a windscreen. In my review on my blog of the Ti-Wing, I didn't really go into windscreens, a deficiency I shall have to rectify.

I'm not sure what you mean by regular size vs. pocket size. Do you have any photos you can post?

For me, my Svea 123 still rules the day for a quick brew up or hot soup under normal conditions. In some ways, I think a 123 is actually safer than some of the modern remote tank stoves. If the pump leaks on a remote tank stove, you could be in a world of hurt. Gas everywhere + flame = really really bad. A friend of mine was pumping up his remote tank stove when the one-way valve (NRV) in the pump failed. Fuel sprayed all over him while the stove was in operation. shocked Fortunately, he was using kerosene that day. Had he been using white gasoline, he'd have probably been in the burn ward and would have been scarred for life. (shudder)

The Svea 123 is pretty rock solid, although you have to be super careful not to overheat them. If the safety release valve in the cap goes, you'll basically have a flamethrower on your hands. Be sure to point the cap away from your body.

HJ