Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
I would like to be able to include some broad spectrum antibiotics

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on the Internet. With that understood, I'm told that different antibiotics work on different infections, and without a good diagnosis it's likely that an antibiotic just won't work.

For this reason I probably wouldn't include them at all. However, a recent illness has made me reconsider including antibiotics in a kit. It was almost a month ago now, on a Saturday, that I started feeling bad. A sniffle, a slight cough, and an overall feeling of blah (this late Saturday night after feeling well enough earlier to be dancing at a local charity event). The next morning I couldn't even get out of bed. I layed around until 7 o'clock that evening. The sniffles and slight cough had become full blown congestion, runny nose, hacking cough, etc. Monday I went to work anyway, still feeling like a train wreck. After work that evening I visited the hospital's after hours clinic. What I thought was going to be a diagnosis of a cold and bronchitis turned out to be walking pneumonia. 10 days worth of Augmentin (I am pretty sure I butchered the spelling on that one), longer for OTC meds (generic nyquil and mucus relief) finally cleared it up. On reflection, it occurred to me that had I been in an emergency situation and had that happen I would likely not be here. There is just no way I could have done anything like setting up a decent shelter or building a fire feeling as bad as I did. Of course I would not include any kind of prescription meds without consulting my physician first, but I can't help wondering if having something like a z-pack would help. Maybe not cure me, but at least buy me some time until I could reach proper medical attention. To be honest I am not really sure. As I said this thread is timely for me. Another factor I am considering here is cost. I am fairly certain that these meds will likely go unused and have to be rotated pretty often. Z-packs and prescription pain meds aren't exactly cheap. There are good arguments for and against including them in your kit.