"When I was nine, I met a man raised by Japanese parents. I learned a lot from him. These are good people."

Yes ... they are. I have never been to Japan, but I was tremendously impressed by the fact that there was no looting after that huge quake. I also think we all owe a great debt of gratitude to the workers at the nuclear plant - who have probably suffered significant radiation exposure and have also risked their lives to help their country and to try to fix this problem.

Meanwhile, we take a step closer to the real truth with the latest press realease ...

The Nuclear Industrial and Safety Agency estimated that 70 percent of the rods have been damaged at the No. 1 reactor.

Japan's national news agency, Kyodo, said that 33 percent of the fuel rods at the No. 2 reactor were damaged and that the cores of both reactors were believed to have partially melted.

"We don't know the nature of the damage," said Minoru Ohgoda, spokesman for the country's Nuclear Industrial Safety Agency. "It could be either melting, or there might be some holes in them."

I assume they are talking about the fuel rods in the reactors. And so couldn't it be possible that the moderator rods that were put in to stop the reaction might be partially ineffective ... if the fuel rods themselves are damaged or broken. That might explain the continued heat generation. And further, I now note that they are saying that they may have a hole in the reactor containment.

None of this makes me freaked out - even slightly. But I am glad that after 4 or 5 days we are getting a glimpse of the truth.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/16/11 01:57 AM)