Actually, this situation is not quite as far fetched as I'd thought after seeing the movie. A few days back I saw a news story where tourist ended up stuck overnight in one of the gondolas at Whistler.

She accidentally got on the one headed up the mountain (which was about to shut down) instead of the one going down the mountain (which was still running for a few more hours) and I guess no one noticed and shut down the upper section while she was mid-way up the mountain.

The situation was a little better than the one in "Frozen" though; it was only shut down overnight instead of for 5 days and there were likely no man-eating wolves circling below smile. Still, I wouldn't think 13 hours in an unheated gondola with temperatures dipping to -9 C (16 F) would be that much fun.

As far as what to do, I don't think I'd try getting down unless I had a really good reason to think I couldn't signal someone for help or be otherwise be discovered within a reasonable amount of time. For this, EDC items like a flashlight, whistle and cell phone would be the most likely to help. Staying warm would be the tricky part, maybe some spare hand/toe warmers and a Heatsheet would help for this (assuming otherwise appropriate gear is worn).

And then, realistically, by the time I figured rescue was not going to happen I kinda doubt I'd be in great shape physically to make an escape anyway. That said, I guess the key would be getting as close to the ground as possible before dropping (I think I recall hearing that 30 feet is on the borderline of where the possibility of avoiding serious injury becomes somewhat reasonable?). Unless I had at least 30 feet of rope or paracord on me, I don't know if I'd even try this.