I'll answer first, then comment.

1. Other than for legal authorities, who do you stop for? Anyone who looks like they need some assistance, assuming I can provide it. Try to avoid looters and keep moving otherwise.

2. What is your response to those who want what you have? Depends on how they approach it. If they are in need of help, try and help. If they are physically ok but "entitled" (read that as looking for someone else to fix things) too bad, you can work for it. If they are armed and threatening (highly unlikely around here)- be my guest, I just want out of here.

3. What protocol do you follow with those who want to join you? We are going that a way - come along. If able bodied, carry your share of the load. Supplies allocated as follows - those doing most the work get first share, children and infirm next, hangers on last if they get anything.

4. Where do you draw the line between looting and foraging for a resource you decide you need? Looting is for profit, foraging is for survival. Ask when possible. If taking "abandoned" items make sure you keep track to reimburse later if possible.

Now the commentary - Location must really impact responses. I can't imagine responding as some have but circumstances vary a lot. Around here the primary drive would be to help our "neighbors" even as we bugged out. Of course there will be exceptions. If the city you live in/near really has you thinking that the best responses are evaluated by caliber and/or range, maybe you need some pre-disaster planning, like finding a better community.

-Eric

Edited by Eric (03/15/11 02:48 PM)