I suspect that you make do. Sounds trite but the disaster is just so huge, so overwhelming, that all you can do is pick a spot and make baby steps to make things better as time, energy, resources allow.

There is a good example of this if you look closely at pictures from Japan. Just hours after the event I noticed that people were not climbing, or even stepping over, debris. Someone has started clearing paths. This is the essential fist step in any recovery. Having a feeling for the Japanese way of thinking, I don't claim any great insight, I suspect that this small first step was completely spontaneous and done a bit at a time by a people who nearly compulsively have a desire to 'tidy things up'.

The idea here is to pick a spot and do what you can. If that is nothing more than shifting a single piece of wood to help clear a path then that is still a step in the right direction.

As far as equipment goes, I have always felt that high-top leather work boots are the best bet when dealing with wreckage. Resistance to punctures coming up through the sole, protection from sharp edges coming at your ankles, and support to help prevent turning the ankle while stepping on uneven surfaces. Heavy duty boots and leather gloves are a good start. A good crowbar looks to be a good idea for rooting around in debris.