unimogbert ... thanks. That's an important distinction. Does "exposed fuel rods" mean that the rods are simply not covered by coolant, or that they are seeing the sky.

You can see how the language in these statements could be misinterpreted by people - especially those on the outside. Most of us do not have a clear understanding of the construction of the reactor - or any understanding at all. So it is not easy for us to interpret correctly what the plant managers are saying. I would argue that it's not OUR responsibility to try to make these educated guesses about the situation. Surely the agency running the nuclear power plant can do a much better job of providing essential information. What is to stop them taking one of their senior engineers and staging a daily press conference for one hour - so everybody gets a clear set of facts about the current situation?

I did notice that there are somewhat clearer remarks now coming from the Govt over there - including statements that they cannot verify the exact condition of the reactors and possibly some melting may have taken place. I also noticed the following statement ...

"Japan's meteorological agency did report one good sign. It said the prevailing wind in the area of the stricken plant was heading east into the Pacific, which experts said would help carry away any radiation. "

This may be helpful to Japan, but those of us on the west coast of the USA will be wondering a little bit. I am not really all that bothered, because the Pacific Ocean is a big place (!). Radiation can disperse over a wide area. But I have noticed that we are NOT getting a lot of info from our own government on possible radiation levels. Surely by this time the President has authorized airborne and shipborne sensors to check radiation levels - even if it's just a routine precaution. But no apparent statements from our Gov't either.

Even if the seawater on the reactors has caused some problems, I'm not sure that cooling them down wasn't the best idea. I don't necessarily think that was a mistake. However, the explosions are posing a serious risk to workers at the power plant.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/14/11 04:54 PM)