Excellent questions Blast. The recent EQ in Christchurch and now Japan has brought forth some more preparedness discussions not only at home, but also at work.

Here are my thoughts on your questions.

How do you protect yourself from possible physical dangers (falling debris, fires, etc...)
Depends on where we are. Between home, work, shopping, family/friend's homes, there is no building taller then 2-3 stories Work is only a 2 story building and I never park anywhere near the building there or any other building that could toppple.

How do you find your family?
All immediate family (except one) lives within 15-20 KM area with no major overpasses, bridges etc to worry about. This is a walkable distance (I have done it before) through mostly single family home residential streets. One very important family member lives across a bridge(s) of which I would not expect to survive a earthquake of any moderate to intermediate strength. These bridges cross a very large (wide and long ocean inlet) and swimming is not an option. If we had to, we would get the canoe down to the inlet, paddle across (very doable and have done it many times) to get to the family member.

How do you get home?
On a daily basis, we are never far from our AO. We both work within walking distance from home. I am 45 minutes walk from work to home, SO is 30 minutes. Other then that, we rarely venture outside our immediate area except for long distance traveling purposes and that is another thread and topic in itself.

How do you find aid stations?
(I am answering this from a medical needs point of view)
Assuming we are at home or close by. here is a large medical building about a 10 minute walk away. Plenty of Docs and nurses of skill types. Two firestations and a police station within an easy walking distance. Having to carry/push/pull an imobile injured person would be a challenge though.

Will you be able to get news from radios?
2 small pocket size am/fm radios which run forever on AAA batteries. Also don't overlook car radios, especially those in older cars/trucks (taht you own or know the person...no illigell activities) that can be removed along with the battery and rigged up with minimum effort.

How can you tell if you've been exposed to radiation?
Good question. Not a concern high on my list in this area of the country though. We have no nuclear reactors within a few thousand miles east and south.

What will happen if you are exposed to radiation?
Depends on the level and length ot time...then again see above answer.

When will "help" arrive (I know this is a potentially loaded question)?
Days if not weeks...enough said.

What will aid stations be like?
(I am answering this from a basic shelter/food/water needs point of view)
Crowded, chaotic, potentially dangerous. This is why we have at least 2 months food and supplies at home...assuming the home survives enough through an EQ to salvage anything. There is always a minimum 3-4 day supply of food, water in the car trunk along with enough hygiene items, clothing, camping/hiking gear to live out in the backyard regardless of weather here.

Can you drink water coming out from a broken water pipe?
If I had to, the water would be filtered and purified. That said, if an EQ struck this time of year, we would have more then enough rain water to get by on...it has rained almost every day, all day for the last 2 months..
There are also 2 small inter-urban lakes very close and within very easy walking distance that I would not normally think of drinking from. If I was desperate enough, the water would be filtered, then boiled and or treated chemically.

Further distance away (almost 2 hours walking round trip), there is unlimited supply of clean drinking water, but that would be quite the chore if we had to walk then pack gallons of water home at a time. If this was the case and our home with our posessions were beyond salvage and our family/friend homes were in the same dire consquences, it would much easier to move to where the water until a semblance of help arrived.

John Lubbock