Nothing in the links I hadn't run into earlier. My point remains unchanged.

From the information available, the core may be (heck I'll play pessimist), is probably melting inside the primary reactor containment vessel. The outer building structure has been blown off, most likely due to the vented steam having a high concentration of hydrogen which ignited. The outer structure for this facility was not designed as a pressure containment vessel so the wall got blown off while the steel structure remains (clearly visible in some BBC photos).

At this time there is no indication of a nuclear burn through of the primary reactor containment vessel and if the local team working on it can keep cooling water (sea water at last report) flowing around the RCV this mess will be mostly contained. It sounds like a similar chain of events is playing out at the other reactor.

Radiation releases so far have been very small, due mainly to planned venting of pressure from the RCV. NHK is saying that a sensor within 5km of the plant is detecting radiation levels approaching 1015 microsieverts. For perspective that is about the same as eating 30 bananas or having 10% of a CT Scan. Nothing to ignore but not the end of all life in the neighborhood either.

I'm not saying this isn't serious but I am asking for a bit of perspective. Japan has just suffered one of the biggest earthquakes ever. Hundreds were killed by horrific tsunamis. Thousands are homeless. Despite this the hysteria is over a power plant that is still contained.

-Eric

Edited by Eric (03/12/11 10:52 PM)