As you can tell by now, best is usually undefinable. We can only tell what works for us and what does not.

In my case I have two watches, a Wenger (I think the Battalion Diver) in Ti that works very well and is reasonably rugged. It is very light and works well when I am having trouble with my wrist. I also have a Seiko Automatic (also a divers watch -- they are certainly NOT dead or just for show, I dive with mine computer or no but then I carry lots of backups for anything as important as dive time). It is a brick but has lasted better than any watch I have ever had. I have had very poor luck with the many watches (particularly multifunction ones) because I beat them pretty hard, both physically and electrically (I am around lots of powerful electrical devices often).

I prefer the Suunto M-9 for a wrist compass, because like you I like the "side window". The Clipper is good, but I think the M-9 is MUCH better if you are really using it.

As for bands, this is an area where the "does not" is important. The band MUST contain the watch even if a pin is lost. Unfortunately, that does not include my favorite link bands. Maybe someday I will find one that has a strap under the watch. The simplest is just a nylon band with velcro or rings. I much prefer both or some other double locking mechanism. You can go up from there, my favorite was one I bought in New Zeland that had individual loops for the pins and a snap cover. Several are around with velcro covers, but then you make a lot of noise every time you want to look at your watch.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (03/10/11 06:10 PM)