Originally Posted By: jzmtl

Lol, do they hire people to come up with these names?

I suspect there are an interlocking series of committees that approve acronyms. In a GS office I used to frequent, back in the days before computers, I used to flip through the books they had. One was a series of books, about three feet linear, of reference on just acronyms. And, as I understand it, that was the abridged version that only covered the most frequently used acronyms. The military has always had a love affair with acronyms.

One time the secretaries had a problem, they have to check the acronyms for accuracy before sending messages. Operating from phonetic shorthand notes they knew the manager has talked about the "AG and C" but they couldn't find any reference to it. So they kept moving the research up through various authorities and reference sets. Certainly there had to be an 'AG and C' somewhere in the federal system. It sounded familiar.

Eventually, all resources expended, they were forced to admit defeat and contact the manager via satellite, a big deal at the time, and ask what he meant. Turns out he was talking about resources we had in the Aegean Sea.