Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
HJ,

Another great review, but now about my second love -- then my first! I started with a 123 and kept it in my day bag for many years. It served me well many times, some when I really needed it. It was suppimented (certainly not replaced) by an XGK with the yellow and black pump. The XGK also served me well throughout the world, mostly on white gas (in AK and the south 48) but lots of avgas and jet fuel (there and lots of other places around the world). It was a savior more than once. It died at the hands of an air freight shipment where they appear to have used the crate as a spear target for the forklift forks. I hope that my new XGK EX will be as good a stove. Unfortunately, the 123 was also lost in transit. I guess I should stay home more - my wife would sure like it!

Thanks again,

Jerry
Jerry,

They still produce the Svea 123R to this day. The Svea 123R is the only stove from that era still produced today, a testimony to its design and continued popularity. The designers at AB Sievert in the 1950's really got it right with this one (the Svea 123). It's a small, compact package that puts out more heat than other stoves in it's class (Optimus 8R, Primus 71, Optimus 80, Optimus 99).

The Svea 123R's produced today are made in China. Supposedly they're not as good as the ones produced in Sweden. The original type 123's and Swedish made 123R's are pretty available on eBay.

HJ