Originally Posted By: LED
And someone tell me why they still don't allow more diesels from Toyota, Honada, Ford, GM in the US?

The problem is the emissions. Diesel engines have difficulty meeting our emissions requirements, because our emissions regulation were tailored around gas engines. They can do it, but it typically requires significant amount of emissions control equipment. This stuff is complicated, it hurts fuel economy, and it's very expensive. Combine that with the typically greater price on diesel vs. regular gas, and it starts to make less and less sense to buy a U.S. spec diesel.

That's not to say we wont start seeing some options. Chevy, for example, is bringing out a diesel version of their Cruze compact car. Being it has such a small engine it doesn't have as much difficulty meeting emissions requirements, therefore it might actually be worth purchasing. We wont really know for sure until we can get some verified fuel economy numbers.

Originally Posted By: Susan
I was talking to a guy who recently bought a slightly used Jeep Grand Cherokee. He said it sucks up premium gas like a drunk locked in a liquor store, not getting much more than 12 mpg.

That's a jeep srt-8, a buddy of mine has one. Jeep basically took the biggest and most powerful V8 Chrysler makes and stuck it in a grand cherokee, then modified the suspension and sold them in limited numbers (really for collectors and enthusiasts more-so than average joe's). Amazing vehicle, in the winter you can blast through the snow with ease, in the summer you can out-run sports cars at the track. The poor fuel economy is a worthy trade-off if you're into the performance aspect. Especially when you consider it can still go a lot of places your average sports car can't. smile