Originally Posted By: Tyber
I would suggest doing a drop leg solution for your knife to get it out of the way of the hip belt.

While attaching it to the shoulder strap would work and would keep the knife near you while you had the backpack on, once you remove the pack you don't have the knife.

From my old SAR days, the philosophy was that if you didn't have it ON you, you didn't really have it. That type and style knife is a great tool one that I would rather have on my body than have to say "where is my pack" when I need it. Speaking of "where is my pack" if you take off your bag and it decides to go on "walk about" down a hill/ into a river or anything like that, well you get the picture.

Aside from all of that I would use Electrical tape to attach the knife to my shoulder strap. Just be VERY careful when you put the knife back in the sheath..

Tyber,

Although the leg mount looks tactical (and is very practical when you are tactical) it is a very poor way to carry anything while hiking. You are effectively carrying about 5 times the weight of the objects on your thigh because you are lifting them with every step. Not very useful for a long walk. If you don't need it often, keep it in the pack. If you need it regularly, mount it on the waistband or packstrap, or in my preferred position, alongside the pack (I mount it in the ski slots under the side pockets of my pack) upright so that I can reach it over my shoulder. A large knife or machete is easy to carry this way and accessable quickly.

Yes, SAR philosophy is ON you, which is why you keep your 24 hr. pack with you at all times.

Respectfully,

Jerry