I carry so much gear in my Jeep that I'm embarrassed to list it all. I think I could gain 2 or 3 MPG if I ditched the stuff, but can't bring myself to do it. Normally I carry enough food and water (both lifeboat food/water rations and other food/snack items), rain/warmth gear, a well-stocked first aid kit, all to handle four people for 72-hours. Plus there's my tools, just about everything I might need to fix anything on the Jeep short of an engine or transmission rebuild, enough flashlights to illuminate an entire neighborhood, air compressor, shovel, spare clothing, even spare parts and fluids when I go off-road. And then there's my GHB, designed for 72-hours and high mobility, but could just as well be used to extend my in-place supplies.

Most of the stuff I've used to good result both on- and off-road. For example, I helped one family change a tire during a rainstorm when their lug-wrench broke (I have interchangeable sockets for my breaker bar), and twice this year I've strapped people back onto the road during a blizzard (in one case a pickup truck had an exit ramp blocked resulting in a two mile-long backup). Of course off-road I'm that guy who has whatever tool you need when your rig breaks, and often the spare part as well. In fact, that's really why I got interested in survival preparedness, for the long, often solo trips I take every now and then.