That windscreen is made from a heavier gauge aluminum foil. I'm experimenting a bit with designs, but the size you see there is about 6"x30" and is held in place with a standard paper clip (the larger size). That size works well with typical remote burner type backpacking stoves (Optimus, Primus, Brunton, MSR, etc.). 6"x30" is roughly the same sized windscreen that you would buy if you bought one from the manufacturer.

I'm experimenting with an 8" high size for upright canister stoves. Since the burner sits atop the canister, the windscreen has to be higher. However, if you fully enclose a canister and burner, you can trap a lot of heat, heat which can build up and cause the canister to violently explode. I'm experimenting with a 20" length for approximately 3/4 coverage, which should allow for enough ventilation to prevent canister overheating. One must also be careful as to which stoves one tries this on. Some stoves have plastic or other components that can melt.

In cold weather, trapping heat can be a good thing, but you have to be danged careful and very attentive. If the canister feels hot, turn it down AND open up the windscreen.

I'm also experimenting with a "radiation shield" which is basically just a disk of the same aluminum material with a radially cut slot in it. The slot is slid around the burner column and then the ends are joined together and held in place by a paper clip. This causes heat to be deflected away from the canister, allowing me to use a windscreen with more coverage.

All of the above are strictly at one's own risk and are completely against the manufacturer's recommendations. Of course manufacturer's recommendations are put together by the legal department, a department that exists solely to protect the manufacturer against law suits. Such a department probably doesn't have to worry about going without dinner if the night is too windy to use a canister stove.

HJ