Trim your palms, ouch.
Thats exactly what I'm talking about, your goto binder. If you had to leave your house not knowing if you would come back and say had at least 5 minutes to open the safe and get the binder like those who left NOLA did you should have enough informarion to continue normal life. Kids need to go to the Dr. you have all the info, from records to a business card for the current or previous Dr. Need to find a new Dr. you have your insurance info handy. Need to replac your glasses because you left your behind, you have your insurance info handy and prescription info. Need to borrow from the kids college fund until insurance reimburses you, you have their bank account numbers handy. Lost your credit card, you have the scan of the back of it with the 800 number to call to report it lost and request a new one. Need to call your insurance company to report your house gone due to flood, you have that number and the policy number handy.
Thats my ultimate gool WRT being prepared, not just to survive but to continue living as we do now with minimal interruption. IMHO if somehting happens we should be able to pick up and move or operate our of where we are with minimal disruption. Power failure, start the generator and keep living, house fire, bug out to a hotel and keep living. Laid off from work, live off food from the pantry while finding another job and keep living.
Had a co-worker who just bought a house this summer and last month had to bug out to a hotel because power was out for a week. His biggest issue was they couldn't print out work for his kids home schooling, I told him he needs to go buy an old portable printer like mine so he could disappoint his kids. Since he had time to leave they were able to pack clothing and such and just live in the hotel room for a week then return home and it was kind of like a mini vacation.