Bountyhunter,

Thanks- I've seen the "Outers" style .22 trap used quite a bit with airguns, but haven't sprung for one yet. Noise is a problem with them, I hear.

The ductseal/putty trap works very well, and it's perfectly silent, so I couldn't ask for more... when punching paper.

The problem is when I let loose at a metal TARGET (built into a metal trap). One has hanging "spoon" targets (quarter and dime-sized circles) and another has mini-silhouette steel targets. If I left those alone with the more powerful air rifles, there'd be no problem at all- but "reactive" targets are temptingly fun to shoot at.

In one winter I actually destroyed one of the "spoon" targets. The target faces were becoming noticably "peened" by the pellets (they had a hand-hammered look), and eventually metal fatigue started breaking them off the stems. That was with a low-powered CZ-631, not a hunting airgun. It's just a little "hot" for indoor use... I also worry about vaporized lead, though I'm firing from a finished part of the basement to an unfinished area.

The traps don't have any trouble handling the real "target" airguns, which seem to cluster around 450 fps, and with those the pellets just deform. Somewhere above 550 fps, they seem to start to completely liquify from the impact on a hard target- the main part of the pellet looks like a "splash", and fragments look like droplets.

Where I am (mid-Atlantic seaboard in the "land of the free, and the home of the brave") isn't as bad as England or Australia yet, but they sure seem determined to get there- the issue of who gets elected seems to affect only the pace, not the direction. We've been talking about a change of venue.