it's also about knowing your environment.i've been looking over some stoves for a canoe ditch kit and a tiny Gaz burner with a pizo lighter and one of the smallest Optimus Gaz carts looks like the best bet.i know the temps i'll be facing will be well above freezing,it's a spring to fall canoe season.i know once the burner is lit i can fire up something close at hand like a small stick or bit of birch bark and use that to heat the Gaz cart and get a bigger flame which will carry heat to the cart to keep the process going.if i was looking at being someplace where the temp could drop below freezing after normal day temps,like the mountains,i would want a white gas or kerosene stove of some sort.it's like a knife,in a jungle i would want a machete while in canoe country a simple Mora would be just fine.i have posted a photo here of a Gaz stove i was warming up with spoons of warm,but not hot water.once the cart warmed up a bit the burner took off and kept the cart warm enough to bring the water to a boil and keep it there while i heated a can of stew in the now hot water.