Guess what, guys, I've had to use my emergency kit already!!! Here's an account of my humble little adventure for those who helped me.

On the first trip I took with my new (used) car, I ran into trouble on the highway. The electrical system started going haywire, and the dash gave absurd readings on everything, and the car seemed to start shutting itself down (though the engine was still going). So I pulled up to the side of the road, hit the hazard lights, and I started -- excitedly, I confess -- digging through my emergency bag. I thought about putting out the warning triangle, but it was during the day, the visibility was decent, the road was straight, and if people couldn't see the car, they weren't going to see the triangle. So I put some extra flashing lights on the car & popped the hood. It didn't seem like an easily reparable problem, so I called roadside service, and had the car towed. (Truck showed up within 30 minutes.) Long story short, some part of the electrical system shorted, and the repair shop is working on it.

What is the lesson? While putting together the kit, I mentally ran through what I'd do with each piece, and that helped. Fortunately the conditions weren't bad, so I had time to run through my options. But I think rehearsing (even if just in your mind) is an essential part of preparation.

Da Bing

Edited by Bingley (02/22/11 04:04 AM)